John Feierabend is considered one of the leading authorities on music and movement development in childhood. A Professor of Music and the Director of the Music Education Division at The Hartt School of the University of Hartford, he is a past President of the Organization of American Kodály Educators as well as a NAfME Lowell Mason Fellow.
Dr. Feierabend continues to be committed to collecting, preserving and teaching the diverse folk music of our country and using that folk music as a bridge to help children understand and enjoy classical music. Dr. Feierabend’s research has resulted in two music methods; First Steps in Music, a music and movement program for infants through early elementary aged children and Conversational Solfege, a music literacy method for use in general music classes.
Dr. Feierabend’s teaching has provided thousands of teachers and their students with the materials and techniques to help build community through music by evoking enthusiastic participation of all people. To that end his approach strives for all people to become tuneful, beatful and artful through research based and developmentally appropriate pedagogies that use quality literature. In the summer of 2012 a group of dedicated and like-minded educators honored Dr. Feierabend’s nearly 40 years of work with the formation of the Feierabend Association for Music Education. For more information go to: www.feierabendmusic.org and www.giamusic.com/feierabend.
- Conversational Solfege, Level 1 - Teacher's Edition
- Risseldy, Rosseldy
- First Steps in Music: The Lectures (5 DVDs)
- Music and Early Childhood
- Down by the Bay
- First Steps in Music: Infants and Toddlers Bundle
- Lomax, The Hound of Music: Favorite Songs
- First Steps in Music: Preschool and Beyond-Bundle
- Move It! 2
- Keeping the Beat
- The Tailor and the Mouse
- First Steps in Music T-shirt - Large
- Conversational Solfege T-shirt - Large
- Move It! Expressive Movements with Classical Music for All Ages
- Keeping the Beat
- 19-Sep-14 - First Steps in Music and Conversational Solfege - Traverse City, Michigan
- 26-Mar-15 - Pennsylvania Music Educators Association Conference - Hershey, PA
- 28-Jan-16 - Colorado Music Educators Association Convention - Colorado Springs, Colorado