2000, GIA Publications, Inc.
Now available on SmartMusic!
The Flute book and CD from the Do It! Play in Band series by James O. Froseth includes:
• Modeling by Jeffrey Zook (Detroit Symphony Orchestra) and Sharon Sparrow (Detroit Symphony Orchestra).
• Professional studio backgrounds capture the rich diversity of American music culture with a repertoire of American, Latin American, African, European, and Far Eastern styles.
• Music of other times, including 12th-century conductus, 15th-century Dance of the Bouffons, 16th-century French branle, 18th- and 19th-century folk songs and dances, 1940s and '50s jazz, blues, and rock-and-roll.
• The repertoire and recorded contexts are motivating, informative, and entirely musical.
• Every song includes text, providing information about phrasing, rhythm, style, affect, emotion, history, and culture.
• A unique Rhythmic Pattern Dictionary allows students to “look it up” and “listen up".
• An individualized format allows students to progress at different rates with a “theme and variation” format.
• Ear training and improvisation are integral parts of the lesson format.
• Artist performers set musical standards in sound with more than 80 great performances on CD for every instrument, and one CD lasts for the entire book!
• Performers include: Michael Henoch, Oboe (Chicago Symphony Orchestra), Randall Hawes, Jeffrey Zook, Sharon Sparrow, Kevin Good (Detroit Symphony Orchestra), Albert Blaser, Clarinet (Cleveland State University), Brian Bowman, Euphonium/Baritone (Duquesne University), Timothy McAllister (Crane School of Music, SUNY at Potsdam), Steve Houghton, Percussion (LA percussion recording artist and clinician), Donald Sinta, Richard Beene, Bryan Kennedy, Debra Chodacki, Fritz Kaenzig, Tuba (University of Michigan), Kristin Beene (Toledo Symphony Orchestra), and Jean Moorehead Libs, Trumpet (Plymouth Symphony Orchestra).