Pitfalls and Solutions
Habits of a
Successful Band Director
With a Foreword by Tim Lautzenheiser
"Habits of a Successful Band Director by Scott Rush will be a tremendous addition to the standard material currently being used in instrumental methods classes. It will provide a much needed practicality for all prospective instrumental teachers."
Ray Cramer, President, Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic
In Habits of a Successful Band Director, Scott Rush provides:
- A how-to book for young teachers
- A supplement for college methods classes
- A common sense approach to everyday problems band directors face
- Sequential models for instruction that are narrow in scope
- Solutions, in the form of information and probing questions, that allow assessment of a classroom situation
- Valuable information in a new format and references to other helpful publications
- A contemporary text for all band directors
Some of the topics covered in the ten chapters include: classroom organization and management, working with parents and colleagues, the importance of the warm-up, rehearsal strategies, selecting high-quality literature, and student leadership. The appendices provide valuable outlines and reproducible forms such as medical releases and pitch tendency charts.
This is an accessible resource you’ll want to turn to again and again! This book, which quickly became a classic, is newly revised and reissued by GIA.
Scott Rush is Director of Bands at Wando High School in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.