Kathy (Katherine) Powell loved music from the first time she could reach the family piano and pick out tunes as a tot in Maine. By her teens, she was doing professional music at a local Air Force Base, while taking piano and organ lessons.
With a Bachelor's degree in Music Education, she taught public school music. Following her Master's from New England Conservatory of Music, she became a Department of Defense music teacher to American school children on air bases in Germany and Japan, and she was again involved with organ and piano ministry in the chapels.
Kathy's compositions with GIA go back to 1991. A member of ASCAP, she has nearly twenty years' experience as a Director of Music Ministries/Organist in Florida Catholic churches, and is a past Member of the Year in the National Association of Pastoral Musicians' Director of Music Ministries Division.
Kathy has also done adjunct music teaching at nearby colleges, and written music articles. Now retired from full-time music, she freelances near her Florida home. She is the widow of an Air Force Officer, to whom she was married 43 years.
- Come, As Shepherds to the Stable Came
- As the Eagle Soars and Circles
- Maranatha, Lord Messiah
- Send, O God, Your Holy Spirit
- Defenseless Now He Hangs
- By Star and Candlelight (O Holy Light of Jesus)
- Where Is He, the Messiah?
- This Is My Son, My Beloved
- Bringer of Light
- When a Star Is Shining over Eastern Hills
- Blow Gently, Winter Wind, Tonight
- You Will Set Us Free
- Holy Child of Mary
- Starlight Streams from Ancient Fire
- Send O God Your Holy Spirit - Guitar edition