Composer and choral director, Michel Guimont was educated at Concordia University (Psychology), University of Montreal (BMus, MMus in composition) and Westminster Choir School, Princeton, N.J. He also studied conducting with Canadian choral conductor Wayne Riddell in Montreal and attended numerous master classes with Frieder Bernius and Helmut Rieling from Germany. He has been director of music at Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica in Ottawa since 1991, where he formed five choirs.He was appointed director of music of the University of Ottawa Choir in September of 2010.
His compositions are numerous and include Lectionary Psalms (The Revised Grail Psalms, 2012)—Gelineau/Guimont, Lectionary Psalms (The Revised Grails Psalms—2011), Psalms for the Revised Common Lectionary—1998, and Lectionary Psalms—1998, all published by GIA Publications, Inc. Many of these psalms settings are found in various hymnals published in the English-speaking world. Guimont’s psalm settings are also published also in various hymnals, notably in The Catholic Book of Worship III (CCCB), in The Presbyterian Hymnal, in French in the hymnal D’une meme voix (CECC: Conférence des Éveques Catholiques du Canada), in Worship—Fourth Edition and in Gather—Third Edition. In 1994, Novalis, St. Paul University published the full three-year cycle of Lectionary Psalms in French.
Guimont also has a collection of communion antiphons, Amen to the Body of Christ: Eight Songs for the Communion Procession co-authored with Sr. Delores Dufner as well as many octavos published by GIA, including Mass for a Servant Church, published in 2012.
- Lectionary Psalms: Michel Guimont
- Amen to the Body of Christ
- Psalms for the Revised Common Lectionary
- Guimont Psalms
- Psalm 89
- I Will Take The Cup of Salvation (Ps. 116)
- Create In Me a Clean Heart (Ps. 51)
- Today Is Born Our Savior (Ps. 96)
- Mass for a Servant Church - Choral / Accompaniment edition
- Glory to God
- Father, Into Your Hands (Ps. 31)
- The Lord Is My Light (Ps. 27)
- This Is the Day the Lord Has Made (Ps. 118)
- Sing Wth Joy To God (Ps. 81)
- Glorify the Lord