Dr. Froseth is a leader in the study of music teacher education, in particular, as an advocate of nonverbal modes of music teaching and performance-based assessment of music learning. Recent efforts have been directed to the research and development of procedures for music teacher self-assessment and to the integration of creative musicianship into music curricula at all levels. His publications include Do It! Play Recorder and Do It! Play in Band, a series of texts and CDs that feature artist models of beginning level music repertoire with musical accompaniments set in historical and contemporary musical styles by professional studio musicians.
Professor Froseth presents numerous clinics, workshops, and seminars in the U.S. and overseas each year. A member of the University of Michigan faculty since 1971, he taught previously at The University of Wisconsin-Madison, The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, and Kenosha (Wisconsin) public schools. He holds degrees from The University of Michigan (B.M.), University of Wisconsin (M.M.), and University of Iowa (Ph.D.). James Froseth is listed on the John Philip Sousa Foundation Historic Roll of Honor of High School Concert Bands for his service at the Mary D. Bradford High School in Kenosha, Wisconsin (1959-65).
- Home Helper: Clarinet
- Instrumental Score Reading Program Workbook
- Rhythm Flashcards (50 Cards with CD) - Set One
- Visual Diagnostic Skills Program—Brass
- MLR Verbal Association Skills Program Part One: Rhythm
- Home Helper: Flute
- Do It! Improvise!
- Move to the Sound of World Music
- Music Teacher Self-Assessment (DVD and book)
- Melodic Flashcards for Recorder (78 cards)
- Do It! Strings Play Viola & CD
- Performance-Based Ear Training - Winds and percussion: Flute
- Do It! Play Recorder Book 2 (book only)
- Tarentella Napoletana (Trumpet)
- Do It! Baritone BC package